Thursday, October 6, 2011

Breakfast of Champions


I'm NOT a cold cereal person.  Never have been.  To my mom's chagrin, growing up, I would rarely eat a bowl of cereal.  On the rare occasion, I would get myself a small bowl of dry cereal and eat it with no milk.  Thankfully, I haven't passed this gene on to my crew, as they love milk and cereal, just as much as their Daddy.  Costco loves us too, since the cart is usually overflowing each visit with multiple cereal boxes.

I'm always on the hunt for other easy breakfast options.  I came across this recipe in a Martha Stewart Magazine a couple of months ago.  Quinoa has become a staple in our pantry, especially since I found a huge bag of it at Costco that lasts us for months.

Quinoa

This week, the weather here in Calgary has truly turned into Fall.  The leaves are blowing, and it is raining, almost snowing.  This Breakfast Quinoa recipe is an alternative to warm oatmeal porridge.  The kids and Mommy are loving the warm breakfast and it is helping to keep our tummies warm on our walk to school.


Breakfast Quinoa


Makes 2 cups

2 cups milk, plus more for serving
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
3 Tbs brown-sugar, plus more for serving
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon, plus more for serving
1 cup fresh bluberries, plus more for serving

1. Bring milk to a boil in a small sauce-pan.  Add quinoa, and return to a boil.  Reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, until ¾ of the milk has been absorbed about 15 minutes.
2. Stir in sugar and cinnamon.  Cook, covered, until almost all the milk has been absorbed, about 8 minutes.  Stir in blueberries, and cook for 30 seconds.  Serve with additional milk, sugar, cinnammon and blueberries.

Why did I title this post Breakfast of Champions?  Our daddy is a champion, in more ways than one.  He NEVER misses a breakfast and he is a huge fan of cereal.  In fact, he has two special cereal bowls that he eats out of every morning.  If heading to work, he will pack cereal to go, using one of Reegs sippy cups to transport his milk.  He says the milk never leaks and he doesn't really care what people think of the sippy cup in his lunch box, he's proud to be a Daddy.  Here is one of our 'Daddy' adventures this summer, Kev's 1/2 Ironman Triathlon.


Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a picture slideshow


Love Twin B
xoxoxoxoxo

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done!! Little 3 loved this video.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Amy - came for a visit via Mindy. Love the sound of the quinoa breakfast! And seriously impressed with your hubby - what an accomplished fitness summer your family had! :)

    Cheers,
    Lacey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun! Good Job Daddy! I really want my kids to like cereal. Diego never really asks for it or wants it when offered. So, ironically this evening after the 1000 time he has refused dinner (we always say he is on a hunger strike) I decided to offer him cereal because I feel like a horrible mom when he doesn't eat before bd. And BEHOLD! My cereal eating star! TWO BOWLS! ha ha!xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete