Friday, February 4, 2011

Oliebollen: A Sweet Dutch Treat

My inlaws are Dutch, through and through.  If you want to talk, eat, discuss and/or decorate Dutch, they know all about it.  Over the years, I have been trying to incorporate a little Dutch into our family traditions.  It has been a blast and a culinary adventure.

My husband always talked about how his mom and grandma would make oliebollen during the holidays.  He says the aroma of a batch of oliebollen immediately transports him back to the days of his youth.  How can I not try to recreate those great memories?

Directly translated, oliebollen means fried balls.  Essentially, it is a yummy doughnut with currents/raisins.  For the Canadians in the crowd, it's like a really fresh Timbit.  I didn't really want to make them since it involved a large pot of crazy hot oil.  Hot oil and kids don't make a safe combination.  I did however mention that if I ever got an electric deep fryer, I could be convinced to make them.  Bingo, my great husband got me a deep fryer and after a quick trip to the local Dutch store, I got the "cheat" mix and attempted my first batch.  They were a hit and so we made them for the numerous groups of people we entertained during the holidays.  They are perfect after a skate or a slide down the hill.
The oliebollen mix from the Dutch Cash and Carry in Calgary.   Just add water, raisins and let it rise.  The instructions are in Dutch but it isn't too hard to follow.  Once fried, you dust them in icing sugar.

Everyone always looks for the ones that have 'crunchy' tails.  Those ones are the best.

The oliebollen maker
Enjoying every yummy mouthful.

Can we make these every day?


These things are the best.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy New Year!
Prettig Kerstfeest gelukkig vakanties gelukkig nieuwjaar!

Love,
Twin B
xoxoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment